Saturday, September 29, 2012

When was the last time I washed my hair?

So here's my metaphor for parenting. I shower less, but shave my legs more.

I know that's weird, but bear with me.

Before I had a baby, I didn't understand when parents would say they couldn't take a shower. Why not just put the baby down for ten minutes and wash yourself? What's hard about that?

But it's not about just putting the baby down. It's about the 800 things you have to do competing for that ten minutes. In ten minutes, I could get the mail, or water the plants, or fold my laundry, or grade some papers, or empty the dishwasher, or let the dogs out, or...write this blog.

So when I do choose to spend those ten minutes on a shower, it had better be good.

Before Nola, I knew the next shower could be had any time. I could say, nah, not right now, hairy legs. I'll shave you later. Now, the next shower might be days away. And I might need to wear a skirt tomorrow. And there will definitely not be time for a shower between now and then, because God knows I need to wash some underwear. Or grade some papers (because English profs always need to grade papers, unless it's between June and August).

And now you can infer that you should not sit too close to me today, because I spent that ten minutes on this blog.

3 comments: